In January 2001…Officials declared they would revise our strategy against AQ, but it seemed to take lower priority than many other issues. I was never asked about what the new strategy should be. The only specific White House query about al Qaeda that I can recall concerned an alliance between AQ and Iraq. A CTC analyst mentioned it to me in the Spring of 2001.
- “The office of the Vice President wants to know about the alliance between UBL and Saddam Hussein,” she said.
- “What alliance?” I asked.
- “The Vice President asked about the alliance between AQ and Iraq. Are they cooperating, and if so, how?”
- “That’s the dumbest fucking question I’ve heard all week.“
- “Do you want me to tell the Vice President that?”
- “Uh…Probably not.”
Henry A. Krumpton: The Art of Intelligence, pp. 166-7